University of Göttingen, Public Law Foundation
Founded in 1737, the University of Göttingen is a research university of international renown with a strong focus in research-led teaching. It regards its great research tradition and subject diversity as constituting particular strengths. Almost all academic disciplines including medicine are represented in the 13 faculties, the exception being engineering sciences.
Since 2003, the body legally responsible for the University of Göttingen has been a Foundation under Public Law. This means that a Public Law Foundation has been added to the University as a Public Law Corporation. The aim of this Foundation is to support and promote the university it is responsible for. Opting out of having the government as the body which is legally responsible for it and transferring this responsibility into an independent Public Law Foundation has allowed the University of Göttingen and its Medical Center to increase the autonomy of the corporation and supplement that of its maintaining body.
The main pillars of the Foundation model of Lower Saxony for the promotion of university independence and self-responsibility are:
- Legal independance of the University vis-à-vis the state of Lower Saxony enabling the University to a more independant organisation.
- With a view to the benefits of the new foundation tax law the Foundation University can provide for long-term foundation assets, whereas the revenues serve as a supplement to the state funds.
- Both economic management and accounting of the Foundation confom to business principles; apart from some exceptions, the Lower Saxony Financial Regulation does not apply.
- With the function as both employer and employer with legal authority the Foundation can provide for a human resource management with foresight. The Presidential Board oft he University or the Board of Directors of the University Medical Center appoint the professors in agreement with the respective Foundation Committee.
- The University's property constituting its basic assets shall be managed efficiently without bureaucratic obstacles.As an institution of civil society the foundation gives rise to a stronger identification of students, former students and employees with the Foundation University.
- The members of the University Foundation Committees provide for a close intertwining of University, University Medical Center Göttingen and society.
University of Göttingen
+49 551 39-0