Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
No matter how well we understand the behavior of a single water droplet in the laboratory, we cannot predict how myriads of them assemble into clouds and rain, with significant impact on our climate. And although one can precisely record the electric pulses of a neuron, no one understands today how billions of them together form a thought. This is the realm of self-organization, where plenty of interacting parts organize themselves into a complex whole, without external control. We are investigating the fundamental mechanisms of these interactions in order to obtain a detailed understanding of complex systems in general. Notably, the greatest challenges of the 21st century, ranging from climate change and economic crises to problems of power supply and transportation, are intimately connected to these scientific questions, which cannot be tackled without a fundamental understanding of dynamics and self-organization in complex and interconnected systems. With our fundamental research, we do not only contribute to the basic understanding of nature, but also to a sustainable living on our planet.
Collaborate Research Centers
- CRC 889: Cellular Mechanisms of Sensory Processing
GAUG, MPIEM, MPIBC, DPZ, UMG, ENI
- CRC 937: Collective behavior of soft and biological matter
GAUG, UMG, DZNE
- CRC 963: Astrophysical Flow Instabilities and Turbulence
GAUG, MPS, DLR, GWDG
- CRC 755: Nanoscale Photonic Imaging
GAUG, MPIBC, LLG
Göttingen Campus Institute
Graduate Study Programs
Work Life Resources
- Child care facility (1-4 years, run by Kinderhaus Göttingen e.V.)
- Canteen, self-service kitchens
- Guest houses (Bunsenstraße)
- Language courses (e.g. German, English, Spanish)
- Sport activities (fitness room, running, exercise during a break, workout group)
- Culture (Music, movie nights)
- Art expositions (e.g. „Ungewöhnliche Räume”, July 2015)
- Relaxation room
Measuring Forces of Living Cells and Microorganisms
Force sensors to study living cells and microorganisms with extraordinary precision
In search of the "physical theory of life"
Ramin Golestanian, newly appointed Director at the MPI and Self-Organization gives an interview to the renowned American...
Learning from nature
Design rules for resilient power grids and biological sensor grids
When the sea blossoms
Researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization find explanation for uneven distribution of...